The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services. LIHEAP provides financial assistance to help very low income households pay for the costs of heating and cooling their homes. The Shawnee Tribe has to abide by the requirements and guidelines issued by the US Department of Health and Human Services for the LIHEAP program when distributing funds. More information about LIHEAP can be found on this web site: www.acf.hhs.gov.
LIHEAP funds are distributed by the US Department of Health and Human Services to states and to tribes within states. Because the funding is state-based, a tribe can serve only residents of the state in which it is headquartered. This is the reason why LIHEAP funding is available only to Oklahoma residents. The Tribe-State agreement restricts services to Shawnee Tribe members only.
As soon as the Tribe is notified that funding is available, the Tribal office will once again this year send a post card to each of our Tribal households in Oklahoma to let everybody know that the funding is in-hand. The post card will also list application deadlines. It is the household’s responsibility to contact the Tribal office for an application. As noted, applicants must be Tribal members who reside in Oklahoma. Applicant households must not exceed income limits set by the LIHEAP program.
The Elder Energy Assistance Program (EEAP) assists eligible tribal elder households that are unable to pay utilities (electric, water, gas, propane, sewer, trash removal) due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
EEAP can assist eligible elder households with current utility payments or a window ac unit. Telecommunication services (telephone, cable, Internet) delivered to the dwelling are not considered to be utilities. This program is only available to enrolled Shawnee Tribal elders aged 55 and older. This program is limited to one tribal member per household. The amount paid on utility bill by EEAP will not exceed $150 (anything over that amount will be paid by the citizen).
- Enrolled Shawnee Tribal citizen must be 55 years or older
- Tribal Elder must reside in Oklahoma
- Tribal Elder can not apply for LIHEAP and EEAP during the same funding period (May 7 - September 30, 2021)
- Completed application
- Copy of Tribal Enrollment Card for Tribal household members
- Copy of Social Security Cards for all household members
- Copy of Utility Bill
- Bill must be in tribal member or spouse’s name
- Account number must be on bill
Applications may be submitted via:
- Mail – 29 South Hwy 69A, Miami, OK 74354
- Phone (918) 542-2441
- Fax – (918) 542-2922
- Email – email@example.com
- Applications may be dropped off at the Shawnee Tribe Main office using the drop box located outside of the front main doors.