The 2022 Shawnee Tribe Annual General Council Weekend included a community dinner and stomp dance in addition to the General Council Meeting and Business Council Election. The Community Dinner and Stomp Dance were held at the Miami Tribe Community Center the evening of Friday, September 16. The next morning, the Business Council election and annual meeting of the General Council took place at the Ottawa Tribe Powwow Grounds. Citizens met Tribal Programs & Administrative staff, collected raffle prizes and were offered free family portraits.
The voting polls were open from 8:00 am to 11:00 am. Citizens who voted received little "niila nikitateniwe (I Voted)" stickers. Business Council Election results were announced by Rod Edmondson (Election Committee Representative) during the General Council Meeting, and were posted at the Shawnee governmental buildings for (30) days and permanently filed in the Tribal office. A copy of the Certified Consolidated Election Return will be mailed to the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Brittany Hall - 36% of votes
- J. Mark McDowell (Incumbent) - 64% of votes
Business Council - Seat 4
- Corey Winesburg (Incumbent) - 71.5%
- Jana Johnson - 28.5%
Business Council - Seat 7
- Kenneth P. Hood Jr. (Incumbent) Unopposed
A look ahead:
- The Shawnee Tribe 2022 Annual General Council Meeting and Business Council Election is set for Saturday, September 16, 2023 (location TBD).
- The candidate filing period for the 2023 Business Council Election will run from June 5th through June 16th.
A special thank you goes out to the Election Committee for their hard work, the Miami and Ottawa Tribes for the use of their facilities, and to our cooks who provided a delicious meal on Friday evening before the Stomp Dance - niyaawe!
WATCH Shawnee Tribe Year in Review
VIEW Photos from 2022 General Council
WATCH Highlights from the Language Immersion Program